- Remove skin from drumsticks and discard. Add chicken to a large re-sealable zip lock bag or a large bowl.
- Combine oil, lemon juice, ketchup, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, five spice blend, hot sauce and onion chunks in bowl of a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth to make approximately 1 ½ cups (375 mL) sauce. Measure and reserve ½ cup (125 mL) sauce for basting and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use. Pour the remaining 1-cup (250 mL) of sauce over chicken in a medium size bowl or re-sealable zip lock bag and toss to coat fully with sauce. Seal and refrigerate. Marinate in the refrigerator for two hours or preferably overnight.
- Poke holes into the sweet potatoes using a fork. Microwave on HIGH power for three minutes to soften and quicken cooking. Cut each into 4 to 6 wedges depending on their size. Set aside.
- Preheat BBQ grill on medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Grill the chicken drumsticks and sweet potato wedges on the top rack with the lid closed. Baste both drumsticks and sweet potato wedges with the reserved sauce during cooking.
- Grill the drumsticks and sweet potatoes, turning over, and continuing to cook until the chicken drumsticks are browned and the potato wedges are tender – approximately 20 minutes per side for the drumsticks or until a thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 165°F (74°C). Serve immediately.